Half Square Antenna

Subject: Half Square Antenna
From: /G=LAWLEYD/S=LAWLEY/PRMD=IBMMAIL/ADMD=IBMX400/C=GB/@mhs-relay.ac.uk (/G=LAWLEYD/S=LAWLEY/PRMD=IBMMAIL/ADMD=IBMX400/C=GB/@mhs-relay.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Sep 13 11:59:15 1994

I regularly use a half square antenna on 40m (gardens and supports are
smaller over here) and I call it a half bobtail which I think is more
descriptive. It is an excellent performer and unobtrusive.

If you model the antenna over 'real ground' in Elnec the pattern is not
good, but over perfect ground the pattern is excellent. This shows that
although the antenna does not need radials, it is strongly dependent on good
local ground conditions in order to work well.

The original posting suggests that if you feed it at the bottom corner you
need radials. This is a high impedance point and you can either use a zepp
feed or an LC network. In the latter case, a ground rod or short radial is
all that is needed. A set of radials in the conventional sense is not needed.
As with any vertical, you could improve the performance by extending radials
out to several wavelengths unless the antenna is already placed on salt
water.

I saw the QST article and am a bit uneasy that coax feed at a top corner may
lead to current imbalance, depending on the position of the coax. Feeding at
a bottom corner is nice and easy. Remember the bottoms of the vertical wire
carry LOTS of voltage so should be protected from accidental touching by
children, pets etc.

The original article which coined the term half square spoke of a second
element spaced .15 wavelength and phased, giving greater gain and some f/b.
I wanted to try this but ran out of space in the garden.

Dave G4BUO