AA4NC 10M Test

Subject: AA4NC 10M Test
From: AA4NC@aol.com (AA4NC@aol.com)
Date: Mon Dec 12 11:28:56 1994
CW: 121Q - 35S - 7C
PH:  493Q - 46S - 7C

Total: 614 QSOs / 81 states / 14 countries = 139,650

Mixed High Power  in 7 hours of operation

Very wierd contest - I wasn't gonna operate at all, but got on for a few
hours anyway. Friday night sounded like a VHF contest on 2 meters.
Saturday was like 6m with a few weak E skip openings to small areas with
signals going up and down extremely fast.
Saturday at 0000z, after 4 hours of operation I had 160 Qs. Was going to stop
here, why bother with more of the same right?
I turned the radio on Sunday afternoon to see if anything was audible. A few
6's and 7's, so I turned my antennas west to work a few new mults. Still
sounded like the band was basically dead, but I fired up on 28.400 with a CQ.
It sounded like a DX pileup... I ran over 350 stations in about 1.5 hours.
The rate meter went over 400/hr at times.This must be what SS is like from
the west!! It was a pipeline opening to W1, W6, W7 at first, with the west
coast dying out after the first hour. The next hour was an even stronger
opening to W1,W2, and VE1/9. An intense E skip opening, no doubt. Similar to
what we have here on 6m in the spring.
Never heard most of the midwest except for W5WMU - I swear there were times
that he was the only signal I could hear on the band except for locals on
ground wave - Maybe HE was ground wave (soup wave? - ok I won't go there :-))
I'm sure this was the first contest in my life that I didn't work Texas...
Congrats to those who had the stamina (and comfy padded chairs) to stick this
one out...

73 - Will AA4NC