KLM KT34XA HIGH SWR ON 10M - HELP !!!

Subject: KLM KT34XA HIGH SWR ON 10M - HELP !!!
From: ron@gw3ydx.demon.co.uk (Ron Stone)
Date: Sun Jul 2 00:02:49 1995
| Ron Stone, GW3YDX -    EMail ron@gw3ydx.demon.co.uk

Greetings. Please forgive me if you end up with this message twice.

I got the address wrong on the first attempt - I think. This is my first
INTERNET broadcast message, so please be gentle if I am not following the rules
perfectly whatever they may be... And so to my little problem.......

I've just put up a KT34XA and the antenna gets out well. Subjectively I feel it
is ahead of the TH7 that it replaced. However I am not happy with the VSWR on
10m. The lowest VSWR is on 28200 at 1.7 : 1. It is 1.8 : 1 at 28000 and rises
as
you go up the band. I'm not an SWR-freak, seeking 1:1 on all occasions, but the
handbook suggests the VSWR should be less than 1.5 through the bottom of the
band. Furthermore other users report a better VSWR (although we do not know how
it was measured).

My set up. TS930 / Omni 6 - Hansen FS500H VSWR meter. All meters correlate.
Antenna at 50 ft (will go to 80 when I sort this prob out) fed with 150 ft
of LDF4-50 hardline. VSWR does not vary with direction of antenna. No other
antennas are stacked with it or close by. VSWR curves on 20/15 are pretty good
although I may tweak the antenna to shift 21 lower as it is 3:1 on 21350.

I've done all the usual idiot checks. Continuity, recheck measurements, cable
and connectors. TH7 on same feeder was 1.01 to 1 !! I've tried moving the
straps on the T match (above results relate to factory settings) with not much
effect. The VSWR dips where I want it to but the value is not low enough.

Does anyone recognise the symptoms, and can anyone suggest a cure please ?

73

Ron GW3YDX