Rotor (Rotator?) v2.0

Subject: Rotor (Rotator?) v2.0
From: wb2k@ritz.mordor.com (John A. Ross, IV)
Date: Wed Oct 11 06:38:51 1995

>It is rotator,
>
>NOT rotor.
>
>JC

On that vein....
I have an aluminum dipole that I can turn on my mast in contests.
Is it a "Rotary Dipole" or a "Rotateable Dipole"?
                                  ^(spelling?)

John A. Ross, IV  - WB2K / VE2TJA [Zone 2]  (wb2k@ritz.mordor.com)
Summit, New Jersey
Contest DXpedition Registry ---------> http://www.mordor.com/wb2k

From: Jim Stockwell <74503.53@compuserve.com> (Jim Stockwell)
Subject: CQP with Murphy in Mono

For the 4th year Randy (NZ6N) and myself (WA6GDS) drove the 300
miles from our home QTH's in Santa Monica to Mammoth to operate
in the CQP from the comfort of my condo in Mammoth Lakes.  Due
to other commitments we were not able to leave until 9:30PM on
Thursday so our arrival in Mammoth was a blury-eyed 3:30AM on Friday.
After sleeping in as long as possible we spent all day Friday setting
up our aging combination of equipment.  The weather was
fantastic so it was great to be outdoors putting antennas in the
the pine trees. By the last light of Sun we were finishing
replacing the dipole which we had broken on the first installation attempt.

Antennae & Equipment:

1) 80-10 Dipole with 450 Ohm feed line in the pine trees at about 50'

2) An 26 yr old Hygain TH2 at 30' above the 2nd floor condo
deck.  This will be the last year for this baby since it was
pretty much falling apart before we put it up.  When we took
it down some more of the fatigued metal broke off.

3) A 40/80 trap dipole in another set of pine trees at about
60'.  As already mentioned we broke a trap on the original 80-10
dipole here, but fortunately we had a spare antenna.

4)  Randy's TS-930 and Swan KW amp and my TS-450 barefoot.
 Also two networked PC's for our first attempt at multi-multi.

By the start of the contest everything was working pretty good.
But Saturday evening, however, Murphy struck and the Swan amp died
so we had to run the rest of the contest barefoot. This really killed our Sunday
rates on 20 and 15 SSB.

After the contest, Randy's TS-930 got shorted out (oops).  Between
the Amp, rig and broken dipole and broken beam this was a tough weekend
on our equipment.  It was good that we had a Jacuzzi available Sunday night
to recover from the battle with Murphy and collect our diminishing thoughts
about next year's CQP.

WOW! - We were still missing Idaho with about an hour
left.  Randy really worked 40 SSB and finally found WA7WOW for
number 56.  Unfortunately we still missed the sweep by Alaska
and NWT (This first year we missed VY1JA).

Results:
        CW      SSB
160       0       0
 80     117      84