Hornet's Nest of Controversy...

Subject: Hornet's Nest of Controversy...
From: RHILTO@acxiom.com (RHILTO@acxiom.com)
Date: Thu Oct 19 15:19:20 1995
>I don't know about "flame suits" but those with this problem may
>have beekeepers in their areas who would be willing to lend a bee
>suit. You could wear this and be safe (or is it bee safe?) from the
>wasps and do what you wish.
>  That way, you would be ready for the next CONTEST!

>73, Zack W9SZ

Speaking as a beekeeper... borrowing a bee suit is a good idea, and I'd
lend one to any local victim^H^H^H^H^H^H needy person, but be aware that
bee suits are NOT beeproof!  The "suit" itself is usually no more than
loose fitting one-piece coveralls... bees can sting through the material
quite easily... the suit mostly keeps the keeper clean, etc.

The helmet and veil, OTOH, are really useful and -- if worn properly! --
are beeproof.  The veil does a great job of keeping the bees OUT, but
most beekeepers (including this one) can tell you just how well the veil
keeps errant bees IN, too!

You've all probably seen / heard about beekeepers using smoke when
working a hive... don't try that at home!  There's a fine line between
arousing the bees with too little smoke, calming them with just the
right amount, and infuriating them with too much smoke.  Or the wrong
kind of smoke.  And smokers quit smoking at very awkward times.

There's a commercially available aerosol product (I think it's made by
Raid) that claims to shoot a stream 25 feet... it really works.  In my
experience, the little buggers die on first contact.

The only good point (re: the original poster's problem) is that you're
fighting wasps -- their colonies usually have only a hundred or so
stingers, while honeybee colonies will have upwards of 15,000.

Good luck

ObCONTESTing... does anybody know if the score sheets for the QRP ARCI
contest can be submitted online?

7.3             <-- that's the qrp version  :)
Bob   ki5ez