WPX-RTTY contest Low or High power?

Subject: WPX-RTTY contest Low or High power?
From: aa4lr@radio.org (Bill Coleman AA4LR) (Bill Coleman AA4LR)
>Hello all, I hope to work every one this weekend in the WPX-RTTY contest.
>I will enter this contest as SINGLE OPERATOR ; LOW POWER.
>For me that means 150 watts and no amplifier! Please if you enter the LOW
>POWER category do not use an amplifier. If you would like to use an amp.
>than enter the High power category.

An amplifier can be used, so long as the total power output from the (all)
amplifier to the antenna is less than 150 watts.

Not every transceiver is capable of outputing 150 watts -- especially with
the higher duty cycle of RTTY transmission.

>I have seen results in the past with comment that LOW POWER was used but
>with the help of an AMPLIFIER? and the results are looking to good to be
>true!
>Maybe I am starting a war, but is has been bothering me for sometime.

If someone uses an amplifier, they need to have very accurate power
measurement equipment to ensure they don't exceed the 150 watt limit.

I've seen postings from other modes where people indicated they have used
an amp, but limited their output to 150w "as measured with a Bird
wattmeter." That would seem to be within the rules.

>This is completely my own opinion and I am not looking for any agreement
>or disagreement(flame) it is just my opinion.

Opinions shuold be based on facts. Everyone needs to periodically
re-evaluate their opinions. As one learns more, opinions can change with
time. It is a natural process.

If someone wants to run 1500 watts (or more!) and enter as low power or
qrp, there's not much to stop them. But these cheaters will forever know
they were not able to compete honestly.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR      Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Man will never fly in a thousand years!"
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1902