Subject: Summary: Tower Help
From: Michael Tope <mtope@iu.net> (Michael Tope)
The following is a summary of the replies I received following my request
for tower help along with a copy of my original posting. Many thanks to all
who replied!! By the way, you can request a copy of the Rohn engineering
catalog by sending a check for $10 US to:

Rohn
P.O. Box 2000
Peoria, ILL 61656

On Feb 8, 1996, I wrote:

>Hey Folks,

>I am in seriously contemplating putting up a tower here at my QTH in
Florida, >and was wondering were I could get information on how to make wind
survival >versus tower size tradeoffs, guy selection, etc. I am considering
a 60 to 70 >foot guyed tower with a something like a Force-12 C-3 Tribander
stacked under a >Cushcraft 402CD. Being in Hurricane country, I would like
to be able to do wind >survival comparisons between Rohn 25, 45 and 55 to
see if the heavier tower >sections are worth the added expense. I just got a
copy of Dave Leeson's book >"Physical Design of Yagi Antenna's", from what I
have seen so far, an excellent >book, but it seems focus mostly on antenna
and mast design - no too much about >towers. No sense putting up a antenna
and mast rated for 120 mph if the tower >is going to buckle at 95 - HI HI.

Pete Smith <n4zr@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>Mike, if you don't already have it, you should get the Rohn catalogue.  For
>$10 they give you a lot of information that bears on your problem.  I am
>told (by a ham who is also a commercial Rohn tower installer) that the wind
>load numbers they give (70 and 90 MPH) are quite conservative.  I don't know
>what your EIA zone number is, but somebody will doubtless tell you.  There
>is an awful lot of good conservative engineering practice in the catalogue,
>in any case.

**  Michael Tope, AD4VH (ex KD8NS, KA8ESD)      **
**  200 Easy Street                             **
**  Melbourne, FL 32934                         **
**  Tel: (407) 259-7494                         **
**  Email: mtope@iu.net                         **

"It is the empty space inside the vessel that makes it useful" - Lao Tzu