Keeping the frequency clear

Subject: Keeping the frequency clear
From: John@radvan.demon.co.uk (John Krzymuski)
Date: Wed Feb 21 08:39:56 1996
In ON4UN's interesting account of ARRL CW he mentions:

>"I used the 3 el. full-size yagi to the States, and had my 4-square
>beaming East to tell the "pirates" to move. That was helpful. "

Is it common practice among the big contest stations to keep
competitors away like this?  I can see the point of beaming in two
directions to optimise Qso rates on simultaneously open paths, but to
use a second antenna to keep competitors away...?  Also, if output
power is split to two antennas, is the reduction in signal strength in
the prime target area outweighed by the benefits ?
John Krzymuski G4DQW