KT-34A

Subject: KT-34A
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed Feb 21 10:46:11 1996

>I am considering A KLM KT-34A tribander and would like your input. I live in
a rural >township where we have wind gusts at or above 50 mph a few times a
year. I am >concerned about wind survival and performance at 50 ft.

   The KLM KT34A is a reasonable performer.  The wind survivability is 100
MPH so your  concern should be with the supporting structure and not the
antenna.  BTW, Hy-Gain antennas are rated at 100 MPH while the Cushcrafts are
rated at 80 MPH.  According to my Atlas, you are in Niagra County which has a
relatively low TIA-222-E rating of 75 MPH.  Your installation should be built
with this spec as the minimum criteria.

   Other short boom tribanders you may want to consider are the A3/4 by
Cushcraft, TH3 by Hy-Gain or the new C3 by Force 12.  The C3 may have some
advantages for you.  Contact the factories for more info.  The advantage of
the KT34A is the dual driven element feed that gives you more usable
bandwidth.

73 and Good Luck,  Steve   K7LXC

     "Up The Tower"        now appears in CQ Contest magazine