[CQ-Contest] Some Contest-Rule Topics

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Some Contest-Rule Topics
From: kal.atlanta@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Tue Jul 15 00:57:41 1997
n6aa@juno.com (Richard J Norton) brough up some interesting points (you must
be back in the states if you're using juno).

>1) Should QRP and/or low-power category entrants call stations using
>high-power, and ask them to listen for their QRP/low-power signal?

No, QRP and low power should start and end the contest as they started.  Any
transmission at a higher level puts the contestant into the higher power
category.

>2) If the answer to 1) is no, should there be a rule against it?

I think we gotta be careful not to write too many rules "against."  Just
make a statement about every contact at the entry level and leave it at that.

>3) Should single-band category entrants move contacts and/or multipliers
>to their band from other bands?

Most always have...I remember K2GL and W3AU setting up skeds by telephone,
FAX, and in the days/minutes before the contest. Its a gray area, but
generally accepted.

>Note that most contests allow single-band entrants to make other-band
>contacts as a "check log." The question is after making these check-log
>contacts, can they move the stations to their band?

I would rather have the "check " logs for cross checking rather than having
their calls show up unconfirmed in any number of logs.

73, Dave K4JRB

 -
 ---