[CQ-Contest] Challenge: 2 Calls - 1 Contest

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Challenge: 2 Calls - 1 Contest
From: wd4ahz@gte.net (Ron Wetjen)
Date: Wed Dec 17 00:45:52 1997
Paul Knupke wrote:

> Several folks gathered at K1TO's place near Sarasota, FL for SSB SS97
> and
> did exactly this.
>
> They operated AE4MH and WD4AHZ and both did quite well..... specially
> since
> most the ops are CW guys!!

A slight clarification.  Obviously using 2 calls from the same
transmitter is against the rules.  The K1TO station is capable of
Multi-multi operation.  We set up 2 completely seperate stations ... we
just shared a common shack.  We did not work each other, nor did we
share multiplier information (one of us got a sweep, the other didn't!)
and we did not transmit on the same band at the same time.

Our effort, was basically a shakedown of the new K1TO station (not yet
completed!), have the pros (K1TO & K4OJ) give us some pointers, and to
give a couple low power, tribander/wire guys a taste of a "real"
station, with high power, tall towers and big antennas.

With 20 years of contesting behind me, I felt like a newcomer, after
playing at K1TO's for SS and K4OJ's for CQWW!  Any rules that are
written to prohibit or discourage the training or encouragement of
newcomers (or to reinvigorate OT's!) can't be good for the future of
contesting.

Just read and follow the rules as written, and don't try reading between
the lines and look to hard for loopholes.  Too many different
interpretations leads to additional rules and confusion (see December
QST for an example of the result).  Pretty soon it'll take longer to
read the rules and have a lawyer interpret them, than it takes to work
the contest.

Happy Holidays, Ron  WD4AHZ

--
ICQ #5012385