[CQ-Contest] NAQP Rules

Subject: [CQ-Contest] NAQP Rules
From: dave@egh.com (dave@egh.com)
Date: Tue Jan 20 11:59:03 1998
Hi Tom et all,

        I won't certify that everyone follows the rules, but I think it is
dangerous to assume that a very loud signal implies illegal power output.
Although not the norm, I've often enough run into propagation which is
enhanced in one direction only.  Cases in point - operations from VY1JA
and ZS2MI.  Although their cases are aurora or otherwise noise related,
I've had the experience of calling CQ on the 10 meter contest and hearing
no one come back but someone 40 miles away who asked me why I wasn't
answering the stations calling me!  I worked a barely readable HZ1HZ
on 20 meters in a contest one time while running QRP.  He copied me better
than I copied him!  And I suppose I could regale you endlessly with more
tales if time permitted it.

        In August NAQP CW I worked about 750++ qsos (don't remember how many
and haven't received the Jan NCJ yet) and got all kinds of comments about how
loud I was.  This qso total beat my previous high by more than 150. I
appreciate the fact that no one accused me of running an amp, and I realize
I was in the right place at the right time propagation-wise (rather than
exhibiting some sort of great personal skill).  Indicative that my assumption
about propagation in August was correct, my Jan CW total dropped by 100.....

73, Dave Clemons K1VUT