[CQ-Contest] How not to work the contest!

Subject: [CQ-Contest] How not to work the contest!
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Sun Mar 1 20:45:50 1998
At 04:02 PM 3/1/98 EST, you wrote:
>From:
>Fred Hopengarten  K1VR               781/259-0088
>Six Willarch Road
>Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
>permanent e-mail address:  fhopengarten@mba1972.hbs.edu
>
>On Sun, 1 Mar 1998 03:58:54 -0500 (EST) "David L. Thompson"
><thompson@mindspring.com> writes:
>
>>Can't run the tower until I strap all the crank up sections together.
>

>K1VR:  Just out of curiosity, how do you intend to strap sections
>together? This is a question based on anxiety about mixing metals. Are
>you thinking about SS strap and SS hose clamps? Or what?

Fred,

I plan on using 1/2 inch grounding strap held by SS hose clamps.  The SS
clamps should be no problem and I know of many using ground strap.  Several
articles reference using ground strap.

Ed Goodman at Uni-Hat found the sections of the Rohn push up mast needs to
be strapped together to get rid of the slight resistance between section.
He uses small strap and SS screws.

Regarding Steve, K7LXC's question on why did the wire ropes not make a good
connection...refer to what Ed found on the push up mast above.  And the
sections of big crank ups do not make solid connections as they are gently
shaken.

The other choice is to run a wire about 18" out from the tower and use that
not the tower (famous W5RTQ solution).  I want to use the entire outside
facing of the tower as a broadbanding cage.  No this does not increase the
transmitted signal strength in some magic way (to keep Tom and LB away) just
makes our gear look at a broader match range.

Dave K4JRB