[CQ-Contest] give both calls

Subject: [CQ-Contest] give both calls
From: DougKR2Q@aol.com (Doug KR2Q)
Date: Mon Mar 9 13:40:37 1998
Fellow Contesters:

[The following comments are my own opinions and in no way should be taken as
being representative views of any group or committee with which I may be
associated.]

There is no doubt that the BEST method to use for making a contest qso is for
each partner in the exchange (and there are TWO of them) to send/confirm BOTH
callsigns at some time during the exchange.

However, it is (IMHO) up to the individuals to decide whether or not to do
that.  If it is their assumption that they are "saving time" by NOT giving the
"other guys" callsign, then they are KNOWINGLY taking on RISK.  The RISK is
that somebody got the call wrong and that, as a result of a faulty exchange,
that bad qso will be FOUND, DEDUCTED, and PENALIZED.  It is entirely up to the
entrant to weigh the situation and find a balance...how fast to go versus how
many points to potentially risk losing.

During the ARRL SSB test this weekend, I called WP3X on 40 ssb....he had
almost no takers (so it seemed) when I called.  How did I call him?  I set vfo
B to his listening frequency and I said, "KR2Q."  He got the call perfectly
correct, yet, he ASKED me, "KR2Q...are you working me?"  I was a bit
surprised, but I admire his question!  And, of course, I said, "Yes, Whiskey
Papa Three X-ray, I am working you."  Whereupon he thanked me and said he was
having a tough time telling for sure if guys were calling HIM.  How
refreshing!  :-)

As anyone who has worked split on 40m knows, a single (DX listening) frequency
can be used by MANY different DX stations (non-USA) simulatenously...we've all
heard it.  I am CONFIDENT that MOST "Not in the log" qso which are found on 40
meters by the contest sponsors are due to "working the wrong guy."   If ever
there were a time when BOTH parties should be REQUIRED to send both calls, it
is on 40 meters (or any other band when split operation is the norm).  Anyhow,
after that, for EVERY qso I made on 40, I made a real effort to always send
the OTHER guy's callsign in the exchange...and they ALL really appreciated it!
Sure, it took a bit more, but I'm POSITIVE that there will be no "N" calls for
ANY of the qso's I made.  How much time was lost?  Probably less than the
damage that would result from even ONE "N" call!

The real problem is US (ourselves)!  Everybody loves to feel POWERFUL and one
way to do that is via a QUICK EXCHANGE.  It is DIFFICULT to keep the concept
of potentially lost qso's and PENALTIES in the front of our mind when we are
having such a good time...feeling so LOUD.  If everyone would DEMAND a call
confirmation, especially from the OTHER side, things could improve.  Better
yet, if you DON'T get a confirmation, DON'T LOG IT.  After those "N" call
rates start to go through the roof for the HIGH SPEED RUNNERS, they will get
the idea.  Each of us has the power to make these quality improvements happen.
One guy not logging an unconfirmed qso won't do much...EVERYBODY not logging
an unconfirmed qso will have a PROFOUND effect.

So...as a contest community, just how committed are you to solving the quality
problems which YOU have accurately identified?  Is there any conviction behind
your words -or- is it that talk is cheap and you like to see your call on the
reflector?

de Doug KR2Q

[The previous comments were my own opinions and in no way should be taken as