[CQ-Contest] Ethical question

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Ethical question
From: ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca (Kelly Taylor)
Date: Thu Mar 12 21:44:25 1998
Hi,

I'd have to agree, this IS a dilemma!

Anyway, I'd say that the safest course of action is blowing off the Q.
Even if it is OK to copy a call this way for the QSO, I think what it
does  (2.1 Single Operator: One person performs all transmitting,
receiving, spotting and logging functions as well as equipment and
antenna adjustments.*) is reclassify you.

If you were a SO, you're now an SO(A). I doubt that such a change would
be worth one Q.

OTOH, if you're a M/M or M/S, you're already accepting assistance from
others, so I think the discussion is limited to personal, rather than
contesting, ethics. It's something that only you can decide for yourself.

Be all that as it may, I've had a number of times working S&P when
someone's tried to ``help'' by dumping in my call for the other station
to hear. At that point, I've just spun the VFO knob and moved on. Seems
rude, but it takes less time for him to figure out that I've buggered off
than trying to copy a weak station explain why.

Comments?

73, kelly
ve4xt

* General rules for ARRL contests below 30 MHz,  QST, Dec. 1997, p. 103.
(note the rules don't differentiate between solicited and unsolicited
assistance. Assistance is assistance.)