[CQ-Contest] Contest-free 10M ARRL

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contest-free 10M ARRL
From: Chad_Kurszewski@css.mot.com (WE9V Chad Kurszewski)
Date: Mon Dec 14 10:05:22 1998
At 06:34 PM 12/12/98 , Trey Garlough wrote:

>> In listening there, it seems a LOT of people are gonna get
>> disqualified. There are sure a lot operating in that area.
>
>The contest-free zone idea was ill-conceived from the outset.
>Here is one example of how it is broken:
>
>The "contest-free zone" is 28300-28350.  The novice band in Argentina
>is 28300-28350.  So what about LU novices that want to operate the
>contest?  Are they going to be disqualified for operating at
>28300-28350?  How about W stations who answer "CQ contest" calls made
>by LU novices between 28300 and 28350?  This is broken.

I read the actual ARRL rules before the contest.

>From the rules on the ARRL page:

www.arrl.org/contests/announcements/98/rules-10m.html

6.4. The frequencies from 28.3 through 28.35 MHz are designated as a
     non-contest window (This means that stations may not call CQ
     contest in this window.).

So, if I heard a station I needed in the CFZ, I had no moral problem
working him/her.  (I didn't call CQ.)  I definitely made a point to
follow the rule and not CQ there myself.
- ---
Chad Kurszewski, WE9V                       e-mail:  WE9V@qth.com
The Official "Sultans of Shwing" Web Site:  http://www.QTH.com/sos