[CQ-Contest] Contest-free 10M ARRL

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contest-free 10M ARRL
From: trey@kkn.net (Trey Garlough)
Date: Tue Dec 22 06:34:04 1998
> The big problem with the illegal CB'ers seems to be below 28.350 and it
> seems that contest activity seems to be the best way to keep these folks
> off the band. (Below 28.300 its especially bad!)
>
> If there is to be a "contest-free" part of the band I think it would be
> best to perhaps make it say above 28.700...there's lots of space up there.

With all this discussion of the "contest free zone" in the ARRL 10
Meter Contest, I find it ironic that when the novice/tech folks were
granted SSB privileges on 10 meters, they were put on 28.3-28.5 so
that they would be integreated into the mainstream of 10 meter
activity rather than up around 29.0 where they would be "stuck in a
novice/tech ghetto."

Well, part of being in the mainstream of HF amateur radio is that a
couple of weeekends out of the year, when conditions are good, ten
meters SSB gets very busy with a contest.  Now someone has decided
that during certain weekends it's *bad* for the novice/tech folks to
be included in the mainstream of amateur radio activity.

Personally I find it incomprehensible that we need to have a
contest-free zone on any HF band that is 1.7 MHz wide.  Perhaps the
solution is to do like Argentina and make two allocations for novices.
We can keep the one at 28.3-28.5 and create a second one up around
29.1-29.3, and we will declare this one to be the contest-free zone.

--Trey, N5KO