[CQ-Contest] Shack power wiring

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Shack power wiring
From: 00tlzivney@bsuvc.bsu.edu (00tlzivney@bsuvc.bsu.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 13 14:58:19 1999
I am now getting ready to put some 220v in the shack - the shack is
about 125 feet from the main breaker box.  I have 400amp service with
a number of extra knockouts in the subpanel attached to the main box
that I could put more circuits on.  The question is:

Should I run two 220v, 20amp circuits and two 120v, 20 amp circuits,
each 125 feet long, from the main subpanel OR have a separate subpanel
put in in the shack (probably a 60 amp) and run short runs to the rig?
I assume I could more easily run the four 10 gauge romex from the main
subpanel than install the big stuff for the 60amp subpanel.  Also, I
may want to get a pro in; if so, any idea which SHOULD be cheaper so
I can bargain intelligently?   Which should be better electrically?

Terry Zivney, N4TZ/9
00tlzivney@bsuvc.bsu.edu