[CQ-Contest] Shack power wiring

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Shack power wiring
From: cailloux@bellsouth.net (Tim Cailloux)
Date: Mon Mar 15 12:14:47 1999
        As far as your question, I think you asked about running wires or
adding a
subpanel for you shack.  I would go with the subpanel option - much less
wire and much less cable.  I also believe getting a sign-off on the work (if
needed) if you have fewer runs of cable, if it's of such and such a type,
and if it's got fewer than a certain number of connectors (I am not sure on
this but I think it's right).
        Now, for my opinion, garnered from watching way too much This Old House.
You really should have a licensed electrician do the wiring.  It's not at
all because you aren't capable of it, but you will have problems with other
things like a) getting a permit if needed, b) getting the right signoffs, c)
if something were to happen, your insurance wouldn't cover it (most likely),
and d) if you were ever to try and sell the house, if the wiring wasn't done
by a licensed electrician and has the proper signoffs, you will have a
difficult time of it.  It may cost more now, but there are many "fringe
benefits" to having someone do it.  If you choose to do it I would suggest
becoming very familiar with the Electrical Code and any special requirements
for your location.

--
Tim Cailloux
KE4QLI