[CQ-Contest] Shack power wiring

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Shack power wiring
From: n5nj@att.net (Robert Naumann)
Date: Sun Mar 14 13:53:33 1999
I would suggest the subpanel as the way to go.

You should consider what you might ever want to do in your shack and scale
it accordingly.  The other nice part is that if you ever trip a breaker,
it's right there in the shack instead of at the other end of the house.

Might you ever run a multi-op/rig with 2 rigs and amplifiers ?  If so,
you'll need two 20A 240v circuits for the amplifiers and it's nice to have
separate circuits for your 120v stuff too.  Computers on one circuit, radio
1 on another, radio 2 on another, VHF stuff on another and so on.

You're idea of a 60 Amp subpanel is probably as big as you'll ever need
unless you want to do multi-multi.  In that case, scale up to 100A.  My
guess is that you'll have to spend a couple of hundred dollars on the
components that make it up.  If you have an electrician do it, it'll
probably cost a few hundred more for the labor.  I've been out of that
business for a few years, but it's probably around $100 an hour and
depending on how difficult the job will be running the subpanel cable -
well, you can do the math.  There's a lot to be saved in doing it yourself -
as long as you do it right.  If you know an electrician, or if there's one
close by, stop and ask if they've got any used stuff.  You could probably
save ton there too.  There's nothing wrong with re-using electrical
equipment.  Most electricians won't bother keeping anything that's no good.

You'll need:
60 Amp 240v (2-pole) breaker for the main panel
#6-3 cable to run from the main panel to the subpanel location.
Big connectors to fit the #6 cable at the main panel and subpanel
12 to 20 circuit subpanel (you'll have to decide what you want)
20 amp 240 v (2-pole)breakers for the amp (times # you want)
12-3 wire to the 240v outlets from the subpanel
20 amp 120 v breakers for the radios, computers etc (times # you want)
12-2 wire for the 120v 20A outlets
15 amp 120 v breaker for any lighting you may want to add (I added a track
light over my shack table)
14-2 wire for the lighting
240v 20A outlets
120v 20A outlets
boxes in which to mount the outlets
outlet covers for above

If you need a 30A 240v circuit, use #10 wire along the  correct breaker -
2-pole for 240, single for 120.

That should do it.

73,
Bob N5NJ
I've never played an electrician on TV, I actually was one.