[CQ-Contest] Apr wpx and busted q

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Apr wpx and busted q
From: W2CE@prodigy.net (W2CE)
Date: Wed May 5 15:19:48 1999

> > >I think deleting three qso's for a busted call is too much.
>
> This is probably a correct statement.  There should be some penalty
> to discourage guessing.  What I mean is that you should lose something
> if you guessed wrong.  The point is to provide incentive to either
> get the call right - or don't log it.

Back in the days of callbook QSO's in a log the idea of penalty points
for usually nonexistant contacts made sense. In fact callbook QSO's
still need the penalty.

Unfortunately we are talking about cheating vs errors in amuch different
category.

I had 3 busted calls removed. One was K8OQL wher I had a zero in for the
O, not an easy correction on some videos and adjacent keys. Another a
double letter error, likely in typing as I should remember I can
overtype this keyboard.

I have already writen ARRL that my last contest submission has already
been sent.

After 35 years with a few entries per year, except FD and SS that have
always been sent in, I am no longer going to participate in a level o
computer crosschecking and penatly moves I consider ill perceived.

Busted calls or missed exchanges can be disallowed, but additional
penalties, no way.

Penalties should be for intentional cheating, like listing a QSO with a
person for a new mult and no such QSO in the opposite log or showing as
a unique.

Creating such harsh scoring examination is going to drive away new
contesters an place the old weekend warior compaints of contests right
back in everyone's faces.

--

       73,  Bob Reed,  W2CE

 W2CE@prodigy.net   W2CE@aol.com    W2CE@juno.com    W2CE@arrl.net