[CQ-Contest] Apr wpx and busted q

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Apr wpx and busted q
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Thu May 6 14:29:45 1999
>Currently there is nothing that rewards for both directions being
>correct. If I shortchange the other guy while I'm running and he can't
>get back to me for corrections, I loose nothing. I identify
>infrequently and cause call sign problems at the other end, I don't
>get penalized, he does. If I get the bonus only when BOTH he and I are
>correct BOTH ways, maybe I take some interest in practices that also
>improve the other guy's chances.

This is crap!  If you get my info right and I don't get yours because I
am not sure for some reason, NEITHER of us should get any points.  The
purpose of the contest is not to get incredible runs, but to make QSOs (A
QSO is a confirmed 2 way contact).  Sure, runs are good for egos and I
think that's why some people are pissed for getting penalized.  But if
you identify infrequenctly and cause problems at the other end you SHOULD
NOT get points while screwing others.  Listen to your language, "If I
short change the other guy....I loose nothing."  What kind of crap is
that?

It's sad that I've learned some many contesters are only interested in
their scores.  Before signing on to this reflector and reading all this
stuff I used to pride myself in the fact that Ham Radio contesting is the
only competition I know of in the world where in order to score points
you have to help someone else score points as well; the guy who helps the
most other people wins.  Now I am not so sure.  All that it seems like
people want are high run rates and points for themselves.  Who cares
about the other guy unless I get extra points for helping him?

Makes me sick.  Perhaps I'll just leave this reflector and pretend about
contesting like I used to.  I am embarassed to say I am in the same hobby.

No 73 this time,

Jon
KE9NA

The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

Jon Ogden

jono@enteract.com
www.qsl.net/ke9na