[CQ-Contest] ARRL DX Contest exchange

Subject: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX Contest exchange
From: kharker@cs.utexas.edu (Kenneth E. Harker)
Date: Fri Aug 20 16:49:11 1999
      I sent the following ideas to my CAC rep concerning the issue
of changing the ARRL DX Contest exchange:

      I think the ARRL exchanges should be changed, as power levels
are either a) a lie, or b) obscured in cut numbers that can confuse
newcomers.

     I think the best thing to do is to start adopting Maidenhead grid
squares into the contest.

W/VE: report grid state
DX: report grid

i.e.:

KM5FA: CQ TEST DE KM5FA KM5FA TEST
C6AKL: C6AKL
KM5FA: C6AKL 599 EM10 TX
C6AKL: R 599 FL16
KM5FA: TU KM5FA TEST

This would do several things:

1) It would be a meaningful exchange that one could log-check, and that
wouldn't be as easy to memorize from year to year.

2) It might get HF ops interested in grid squares and fields and maybe get
them to try six meters some time if they understand the idea of working
grids as legitimate DXing.  Or try the Stew Perry 160M contest, or maybe
lead to other HF contests based on grids and maybe even distance scoring.

3) You could keep the state in the W/VE exchange for the benefit of those
who aren't immediately familiar with the grid fields that cover North
America, but who still want to know what states they're working.

4) You could continue to keep the multiplier structure the same as it is.

5) This would, however, make a typical QSO take longer to complete.

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                  Amateur Radio Callsign: KM5FA
Department of the Computer Sciences         President, UT Amateur Radio Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124               Maintainer of the Linux Laptop Home Page