[CQ-Contest] ARRL DX Contest exchange

Subject: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX Contest exchange
From: miltj@dvec.org (Milt Jensen)
Date: Fri Aug 20 17:34:27 1999

Bruce Lallathin
wrote:=====================================================================

> I for one am strongly in favor of the grid square info in the ARRL DX Contest
> exchange. I wonder about adding the STATE as it seems redundant somehow. For
> the DX stations trying to work all states, this would be a draw so for that
> reason I would say it stays.

And Milt Jensen, N5IA, commented:

    I am strongly in favor of using the grid square designator and at the same
time
leaving the State as part of the exchange.  Reason:  In many cases the grid
square
covers two states and two call sign areas.  Example:  Here in my area the 109th
parallel is only 3 miles into New Mexico from the Arizona state line.  The same
is
true for the Utah/Colorado state line.
    So, for about 800 miles of latitude, a given 4 digit grid square could
indicate
Arizona, 7th call district, CQ zone 3...OR...New Mexico, 5th call district, CQ
Zone
4.   Or by the same token it could indicate Utah, 7th call district, CQ Zone
3...OR...Colorado, Zero call district, CQ Zone 4.
    I am sure there are many other areas where this would also be the case.
Just
something to consider.

Milt, N5IA