[CQ-Contest] ARRL DX Contest exchange

Subject: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX Contest exchange
From: w7why@harborside.com (Tom Osborne)
Date: Sun Aug 22 02:37:08 1999

"Douglas A. McDuff" wrote:

> Further, and please this is not meant as a flame to those who >have so
> suggested but only a question, what is the point of >adding grid squares to
> the exchange?  Do we really want to reach >the point where the exchanges for
> all contests are the same?

Hi Doug.

What do you think we have now?  The CQWW might as well not even
have an exchange.  Just type in a callsign and the computer fills
in the rest.  As far as all the other exchanges, the 599 is
redundant and might as well not even be sent.  The computer
assumes all exchanges will be that and inserts the necessary
numbers.  There are very few "copying" (other than callsigns)
contests left.  What's wrong with making people have to do some
actual copying of information for a change.  73
Tom W7WHY