[CQ-Contest] SO2R NOT a new category

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SO2R NOT a new category
From: n5nj@gte.net (Bob Naumann - N5NJ)
Date: Sat Jun 3 09:46:37 2000
> it's a question of fair competition.  It's why, in auto racing,
stock cars do not race
> against Indy cars, even if there is only one driver.  The
competition would
> be ridiculous, the outcome predetermined and utterly boring.
>
> The attraction in contesting should be focused on the competition
and skill,
> not the hardware.  That's why the WRTC is so great - the stations
are
> equalized as much as possible, and the winner has REAL bragging
rights,
> unlike the two-radio guy who beats the one-radio guy.
>
> W7TI

Bill,

Being a fairly devoted NASCAR fan, I think I can make a qualified
comment here and point out that your car racing analogy does not work.

In the case of NASCAR, (and I believe in most pro racing these days)
all drivers are single-op assisted.  Yes, that's right.  They have
spotters telling them who is behind them, when it's OK to change
lanes, when the green flag comes down, when the yellow flag comes out,
where the accident is etc.  All of this is done using - guess what? -
Radio!

In radio contesting, single operator isolates the "driver" and forces
him to figure out when to "change lanes" all by himself.  Otherwise,
he'd be single-op assisted.

To use a more correct racing analogy, single operator radio entrants
are "driving" one car (transmitter) with the same power and weight
restrictions, (1.5kw and 160 through 10m respectively).

Since he can only transmit one signal at a time (drive one car), this
is the equalizer.

73,
Bob N5NJ
" I'm for 24 and anything but 3 "