[CQ-Contest] SO2R NOT a new category

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SO2R NOT a new category
From: w7ti@jps.net (Bill Turner)
Date: Sat Jun 3 20:54:04 2000
----- Original Message -----
>From: PD Larson <k0pa@minnmicro.com
>
>Bottom line: SO2R setups are a
>matter of extra hardware - nothing more, nothing less.

Incorrect, IMO.  2R setups have the advantage of TIME, not hardware.  A
two-radio station has about twice the listening hours during a given contest
as a one-radio, perhaps even more.

Here's why:

1.  He can listen while transmitting.

2.  He can listen on more than one frequency at the same time.

This is why the two (or more) radio station has such an advantage.  In a 48
hour contest, if the one-radio guy gives a maximum effort, he will be
listening perhaps about 30-35 hours and transmitting the rest.  The
two-radio guy is listening the whole 48, and if you count listening on two
bands (or more) at once, well, you figure it out.

This is an advantage that NO AMOUNT OF HARDWARE can overcome.  I say more
power to the two-radio guys, I've run two myself, and I respect their
efforts.  But IMO, it requires more skill, not less, to operate one radio.
I have to know band conditions better, be more aware of when a particular
band opens, and most important of all, when to quit a particular band.  The
two-radio guy has none of those problems, since he's essentially operating
on two or more bands simultaneously anyway.  Doesn't this make sense?  Why
is this so hard to get across?

Once again, I have nothing but respect and admiration for the two-radio
guys.  I'm not knocking them in any way, I've been there, done that.  I just
don't want to compete head-to-head with someone who's listening twice as
much as I am.  It's that simple.

Bill, W7TI