[CQ-Contest] Re:SO2R

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re:SO2R
From: miltj@aepnet.com (Milt Jensen - ARS N5IA)
Date: Tue Jun 6 08:25:20 2000

(mailto:owner-cq-contest@contesting.com]On Behalf Of Bill Turner

From: William N. Goodman, CPA (K3ANS) <goodmancpa@enter.net>

1st Post:

> My puny multi does not object to be placed in the same class as the big
time
> multis.  We know we can not win, but we have fun just the same.  We have
> private competition with similar stations, but enter the broad classes.

2nd Post:

Your last paragraph says it all.  If you don't care whether you win or not,
fine.  You are not a real competitor, just a casual entrant, and that's
perfectly ok.  The rest of your post is what is silly.  None of those x vs y
situations you quote make any difference.  But one radio vs two makes a HUGE
difference.  The two radio (or more) operator has a tremendous TIME
advantage over the course of a contest, literally HOURS more spent receiving
than the one radio guy.  That is the part of the playing field that needs
leveling.

Bill, W7TI

Bill and others,

IMHO you are the one in error.  Whether you are a casual operator or a died
in the wool, give 'em hell every weekend, go for the trophy, op' till you
drop contester, the only difference involved in the SO2R, or SO3R, etc. is
what is between the ears.  If the grey matter and the muscle it controls
cannot be organized to perform then it doesn,t matter whether there are 1,
2, 3 or more radios.

I have never been able to master high speed CW.  Never will.  But does that
keep me from COMPETING in the CW contests of my choice.  NO!!  In fact I
hone other skills of which I AM CAPABLE that give me an advantage over other
operators.  I am not out campaigning that we should have a "slow" speed
category.  If I cannot make the mind and body work to accomplish the task,
then that is my personal problem.

SINGLE OPERATOR "IS" SINGLE OPERATOR!!!

73, es good contesting de Milt, N5IA