[CQ-Contest] call sign in contests

Subject: [CQ-Contest] call sign in contests
From: bferry@telocity.com (Bruce Ferry)
Date: Sun Feb 11 19:50:02 2001
By all means, do the upgrade. When the other parts of the band are jammed you
can go searching in all areas and usually find somebody who is working the
contest more casually and at least get something. It also becomes one less
thing to worry about (band limits) during a hectic contest.

Getting a vanity callsign should be high on your list. Yours is difficult and
not very memorable. Take it from ex KC8JNC - the shorter callsign will
help a lot on both sides of the exchange. It will be easier for you and
other contest
regulars will begin to recognize you (which DOES help).

Don't rush into your choice and don't depend on the so-called lists that are
published about what's available - I found mine by going sequentially through
the FCC database. I STRONGLY urge you to stick with the number in the callsign
that matches your call area.

Unless you can form a proper club (as specified in the Part 97 rules) you can't
get a second callsign so forget that idea.

--
Bruce Ferry, AK8B