[CQ-Contest] Reply to SO2R comments...

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Reply to SO2R comments...
From: kw4t@state.net (Dan Weisenburger)
Date: Tue Mar 6 12:46:00 2001
Wow!

This seems to be one of the hottest threads in a long time.  Now that my
new medication has kicked in I feel a reason to respond to the
discussion.

I believe that most of us respect John's operating abilities and his
lightning quick QSO rates but I do have a thought about the subject for
what it's worth.

It seems to me (in my hardly ever humble opinion) that if a station is
neither listening, and able to respond to the QRL, on a frequency - nor
is he/she transmitting on said frequency, then he/she is not using the
frequency.  The frequency is up for grabs.  It doesn't matter if you
have gone to another band to work a mult you have been able to move or
if you are grabbing a spot from the cluster on the present band.  It's a
roll of the dice whether the frequency will still be available when you
return.  Sometimes it comes up snake eyes.  The time gone is a wide
variable based on propagation and the DX stations ability to complete
the SO, as well as the local's ability.  45 to 60 seconds is enough for
me to complete 3 to 5 ISO's in a DX test and as many as 8 in a domestic
test.  KR can probably do twice that many as can several others that
know how to type. Regardless, if you have left a frequency unattended
and it gets discovered while you are gone, then TOO BAD.

My subscription to CW continues,

73 from Lake Moneysgone,  Dan,  KW4T