[CQ-Contest] Alpha 76 or 374 3 hole as contest amps?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Alpha 76 or 374 3 hole as contest amps?
From: larryj@teleport.com (Larry Johnson)
Date: Tue May 1 22:23:27 2001
<3AEFE464.2D9674B4@harborside.com>
Sender: owner-cq-contest@contesting.com

I spoke with an engineer at the Alpha booth at Dayton last year. At the
time, I had an Alpha 76PA (3-holer / 3-8874's). He told me that when
that particular series of amps were built that the FCC power limits were
the 1 KW input rating (not 1500 watts out, like it is now), and that the
amplifier should not be pushed harder than 400 watts output (carrier)
per tube (800 W out for 2-8874's, 1200 watts out for a 3-8874's.) I was
hoping it would do the legal limit, but he very strongly cautioned me
against me trying to run more than 400W/tube.

Now I have an Alpha 89, so no problem.

Larry K7LJ