[CQ-Contest] Field Day thought ...

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Field Day thought ...
From: jmlowman@ix.netcom.com (Jim Lowman)
Date: Mon Jun 25 17:29:23 2001
Ron Wetjen wrote:

> It didn't take long, before someone wrote
>
> > Field Day is NOT a contest but an EXERCISE in emergency communications.

I think this distinction has been lost over the years.  To many of us,
FD is thought of as a contest these days.  If points are awarded and
scores are reported in QST, it's a contest in my book.  If it walks
like a duck, etc.

Someone always has to drag out this technicality every year.  It's
like the inevitable "See you next year" that some bozo in the office
comes up with at the end of the year.

We probably wouldn't get many operators out in the field each year if
FD didn't function like a contest.  I'm guessing, but this may have
been the incentive to get hams out in the field many years ago when FD
was initiated.

As someone said, FD is what you make of it.  For some, it's an all-out
contest effort.  For others, it's a picnic or a social occasion, with
the operation as a secondary result.  For me, it's always been an
all-out competition, starting with my first FD in 1966.

73 de Jim - AD6CW