[YCCC] Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Results on the Web

Subject: [YCCC] Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Results on the Web
From: n6bv@arrl.org (R. Dean Straw)
Date: Fri Jan 11 07:09:33 2002
Dennis and Jim:

Your point is well made. The AYYA is obviously really serious about what
they do -- I would never have guessed such an organization even exists!

You'll note under their "Contest Results" button, "Results of Past Events"
that their on-line results go back until 1994. In other words, in one
easy-to-find place they list 7 years of results.

How many times have you had to root through a huge, dusty pile of QSTs to
get a chronological picture of results in the same contest -- say, the SSB
portion of the ARRL International DX Contest from 1994 to 2001? Perhaps you
are trying to chronicle your own improvement in ever-increasing scores in
that particular contest. (Let me note here that it's a lot easier to do this
kind of "rooting around" using the CD-ROM version of QST. At least it
involves a lot fewer dust bunnies. But I digress.)

Putting detailed contest results on the ARRLWeb and allowing people to
download data files for their own analysis sounds like a great benefit to me
in the proposed realignment of QST. Leaving out the detailed listings but
writing some really compelling stories that make contesting sound like great
fun (and a great place to train operators) in QST sounds like good
"marketing" of this particular aspect of our hobby. It also sounds like a
place where a lot of YCCCers could contribute some excellent articles. A
good number of you already write up compelling and interesting writeups of
their experiences after each major contest.

And I'd like to see some cool audio clips from contests added to that
ARRLWeb site too. Think about it: Hearing K1AR do a 200+ hourly rate on 80
meters would just have to be truly inspiring, wouldn't it?   ;>)

73, Dean, N6BV