[CQ-Contest] ICE 186 Receive Antenna Switch?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] ICE 186 Receive Antenna Switch?
From: n6ki@juno.com (Dennis Vernacchia)
Date: Mon Jan 14 23:52:43 2002
Dan,

        If you are going to keep the TS-850 for a while and are not too
worried
about accelerating the depreciation due to mods, you might consider the
mod
I did on my TS-850.

        Since the DSP unit designed to be used with the TS-850
is pretty useless, I disconnected the internal wiring going to
those two DSP phono jacks and brought the input of the Rx
board up to 1 jack and then connected the cable that used to go to
the  input of the Rx board to the other jack.
       If you use the existing circuit board that supports  the 2 DSP
connectors, be sure to rmove ant capacitors that are onnected from
the center leads of those two jacks to ground.
        You will need to order a coax cable with those funny crimp
connectors ( only needed on one end) from Kenwood  (Pacific Coast Parts).
Part number is KE31-2103-05
        If this mod is too intimidating to do yourself, I can provide a
name of someone that services Kenwood gear in the San Diego area
that  would do the mod for a reasonable fee.
        I have no pecuniary interest in this matter.

73, Dennis N6KI

On Sun, 13 Jan 2002 23:00:36 -0800 "Dan Levin" <djl@andlev.com> writes:

> Well, I'm ready to make the jump to beverages for the low bands.
> Unfortunately, my TS-850's don't have a receive antenna connector.
> I'm
> aware of the various mods to allow the 850 to be used with a
> separate
> receive antenna, but I'm curious about the ICE 186A receive antenna
> switch.
> Does anyone have any experience with the 186A or other outboard
> receive
> antenna switches?   Do they work, or should I just mod the radios?
>
> Thanks!
>
>             ***dan, K6IF
>

> --
> Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST@contesting.com