[CQ-Contest] [book] call for chapter ideas

Subject: [CQ-Contest] [book] call for chapter ideas
From: rbrandon@austin.ibm.com (Robert Brandon)
Date: Wed Jan 23 17:52:27 2002
Here's are a few ideas, mostly for a newbie section.

Robert K5PI

1.      What is contesting?
2.      Why contest?
3.      Getting started
3.1.    Make some contacts!
You don't need a great station.  Just get on!
3.2.    Find a contest "elmer"
Watch and listen.  Ask questions.  Subscribe to a reflector.  Read FAQs.
3.3.    Learn about the different contests
Some are short, long, fat, thin, etc.  Consider different modes.
3.4.    Participate at a multi-op
Watch other operators.  Don't expect a great slot to start, but give it
your best shot.
3.5.    Part-time efforts
You don't have to operate all 48 hours to have fun.  Just get on and
have some fun.  See how many contacts you can make in an hour.  Or,
compete with a friend with a comparable station for a few hours.
3.6.    Full-time efforts
3.7.    Guest operating
4.      Getting competitive
4.1.    Set goals
"You have to lose a lot of contests before you can win."
4.2.    Track your progress
4.3.    Study the rules
4.4.    Strive for accuracy
4.5.    Competition "versus" courtesy
Contesting is competitive, and winners are not shrinking violets.  But
if you talk to perennial winners, you'll find that they are not ruthless
cutthroats.  Quite the contrary:  you'll find they are respected and
liked...
4.6.    Efficiency
4.7.    The importance of calling CQ
4.8.    How important are multipliers?
"Rate is king.  Mults happen."  When NOT to try to bust a pileup.
4.9.    Learning about propagation
4.10.   Effective preparation
Look at several checklists, then make your own.  Have spare items ready
whenever possible.  Keep manuals handy.
5.      Making "the box"
5.1.    Improving your station
5.2.    Applying - and ignoring - conventional wisdom
5.3.    Handling high rate
5.4.    Handling low rate
5.5.    No substitute for experience
Callsign recognition, etc.
6.      Special techniques
Using packet and bandmaps.  Tips for busting pileups.  Setting a trap
for someone who is also S&P.  Look way up the band.
6.2.    SO2R
6.3.    "Moving" people
6.4.    Tail-ending