[CQ-Contest] [book] call for chapter ideas

Subject: [CQ-Contest] [book] call for chapter ideas
From: n2mg@contesting.com (Mike Gilmer - N2MG)
Date: Wed Jan 23 18:06:43 2002
On Wed, 23 January 2002, "Dale L Martin" wrote:

> It could be a 'distributed' book:  chapter 1
> one one ham's webpage, chapter 2 on another,
> chapter 3 on yet another, etc...

They could be uploaded as separate articles on the
contesting.com website.  These articles are editable
by the contesting.com team so updates could be made.

There's even a built-in method for readers' comments.

> What were the sales of the Contest Cookbook to
> non-contesters like? (I'm sure that's a difficult,
> if not impossible, metric to measure)

This is why some have been suggesting (and I agree)
that there (first) needs to be some attention paid to
exposing those who know little or nothing about
contesting to this great sport.  There must be tens of
thousands of shack-on-the-belters who could
potentially read a QST article - almost none of them
would buy a contesting book (although an online "book"
WOULD be more accessible).  A contesting book (as
we've been discussing) would only appeal to those who
have seen the light (even if it is a bit dim).

In our defense, I suspect the contest book idea is
easier for us to get our arms wrapped around than
coming up with innovative ways of attracting new blood.

73 Mike N2MG

http://www.peoplepc.com