[CQ-Contest] Not Another Contest Category

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Not Another Contest Category
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Mon Jan 28 10:01:13 2002
On 1/22/02 1:14 PM, Richard Zalewski at w7zr@citlink.net wrote:

>Now think about the ability of SOME stations being able to alternately work
>two bands versus the others limited to one band at a time.  There is a HUGE
>difference in the potential of these two stations.  Then why if we separate
>based on power, and number of transmitters in a multi class, and have power
>in 3 classes should we not HAVE A SEPARATE CLASS FOR SO2R?

Seems like this comes up a couple of times a year. And it seems like the
same tired old arguments are made each time. And it seems like the same
tired old refutations are made each time. So, here we go again.

SO2R is a misnomer. Two radios aren't necessary. What's necessary are two
receivers and a frequency-agile transmitter. An FT-1000D has 95% of the
circuitry needed to do what's required in SO2R operating. The only thing
missing is the ability to receive on the sub-radio while transmitting.
I'm sure at some point, the Japanese designers will figure this out in
some future radio.

SO2R isn't any different as an operating category than a single operator.
SO2R isn't about equipment. (THIS SEEMS TO BE THE REAL STICKING POINT)
SO2R is about skill. Just having a boatload of radios or antennas doesn't
help. You have to know how to make effective use out of them.

>I take nothing away from those ops who can do the SO2R.  I think that being
>able to do that requires a certain skill along with a different class of
>equipment.  And equipment is the factor here.

No, equipment isn't the fact. It's skill.

> We class on equipment
>power....we class on number of transmitters in a multi....then why not HAVE
>A SEPARATE CLASS FOR SO2R?

SO2R stations have the same limitations that SO1R operators do. One
transmitted signal at a time. Power is pretty universal. Multi-operator
stations are segregated by how many simultaneous signals they can have.
So, too, single operators -- only one transmitted signal at a time.

There's no need for a new category.

The key evidence is that SO2R operators don't dominate the top-10. There
are many single radio operators who are firmly entrenched there, and
don't show any signs of being displaced.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901