[CQ-Contest] so2r off the shelf?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] so2r off the shelf?
From: K4ZW@Staffnet.com (Ken Claerbout)
Date: Tue Apr 16 02:00:26 2002
  Here's what I'm using at my QTH.

1.)  Single computer with Writelog
2.)  W5XD SO2R box (mine is the old kit form)
3.)  Sound card in PC for voice keyer
4.)  Top Ten band decoders on both radios
5.)  WX0B Six Pak antenna switch
6.)  WX0B (W3NQN design) BPF on the second radio only (this filter is worth
the money)

   I've been using this arrangement for 2 years.  I'm very happy with the
way everything is working and have no plans to change the setup unless
something better comes along.  Here is what I consider some of  the benefits
of this arrangement.

1.)  with a click of the mouse, I'm able to listen to the second radio in
both ears while the "run" radio is in transmit.  Or, I can listen to TX & RX
of a single radio full time by switching out of the latch function. I could
never last 48 hours with a different radio in each ear.
2.)  By hitting shift and down arrow, I can enter a call from the second
radio without interrupting the run radio.  Personally, I find this much more
convenient than wrestling with two computers.
3.)  The right channel audio output of the sound card is wired to the run
radio (on the right) and the left channel to the second radio.  Writelog
routes the audio to which ever rig is chosen. The software provides the
interlock that keeps me from transmitting on both radios at the same time.
A big no-no for Single Op!  The same applies on CW from the SO2R box.
4.)  The key to maximizing the effectiveness of second radio, is the ability
to hear signals of all strengths while the run radio is blasting away.
Antenna separation is important but so is a good bandpass filter (BPF).
Choose one wisely.  Incidentally, I haven't seen the need to put a BPF on my
run radio.

73
Ken K4ZW