[CQ-Contest] 'bogus' check

Subject: [CQ-Contest] 'bogus' check
From: jmaass@columbus.rr.com (Jeff Maass)
Date: Sat Apr 27 11:07:10 2002
I guess I'm going against the Majority on this one. Could I have
been to be the only one to have read the rules in modern memory?

The rules specify what to send for *check* in the same way it
does for  *section*.

>From the SS Rules (from the ARRL web site):

" 4.Exchange: The required exchange consists of:
 4.1. A consecutive serial number;
 4.2. Precedence;
   4.2.1. "Q" for Single Op QRP (5 W output or less);
   4.2.2. "A" for Single Op Low Power (up to 150 W output);
   4.2.3. "B" for Single Op High Power (greater than 150 W output);
   4.2.4. "U" for Single Op Unlimited;
   4.2.5. "M" for Multi-Op;
   4.2.6. "S" for School Club;
 4.3. Your Callsign;
 4.4. Check (the last two digits of the year you were first licensed);
 4.5. ARRL/RAC Section"

Check is explicitly specified. Section is explicitly specified.
Precedence is explicitly specified. Where does it say "or whatever
you feel like using instead"?

If you can justify changing the *check* in your exchange, I can
justify changing the **Section** in my exchange (so long as I'm
consistent)! In fact, as it doesn't say "*Your* ARRL/RAC Section"
it is **less** explicit than the specification for Check, which it
says must be "...year *you* were first licensed"!

Perhaps I'll send "WY' or "ND" as my *section* this year, as they
*are* ARRL Sections. From Ohio, that should provide an advantage
for me!

 Jeff Maass       jmaass@columbus.rr.com     Located near Columbus Ohio
         USPSA # L-1192       NROI/CRO    Amateur Radio K8ND
    Maass' IPSC Resources Page:  http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass
Circleville USPSA/IPSC: http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass/pcsiipsc.htm