[CQ-Contest] SSB Vs. CW QSO's in a Contest

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SSB Vs. CW QSO's in a Contest
From: w7why@harborside.com (Tom Osborne)
Date: Thu Jul 18 03:37:18 2002
"Sean D. Fleming" wrote:

>Then I wonder well can you make SSB contacts faster than CW >contacts and what
>is it I am lacking to make more SSB contacts.

Hi Sean

I find I can work CW much faster than SSB, mainly because my
hearing is not what it used to be after working 35 years in a
very noisy environment.  It is amazing to me how some ops can
pick a call out the first time, considering accents, etc.  Most
of the time I have to listen for 2 or 3 transmissions to get a
callsign straight on SSB, but on CW, it's a different story.
Most of the time I just S&P in fone contests.  I get tired of
saying "huh?" all the time if trying to run stations :-)  73
Tom W7WHY