[CQ-Contest] making lemonade

Subject: [CQ-Contest] making lemonade
From: n2mg@eham.net (Michael Gilmer)
Date: Sat Jul 27 08:45:05 2002
K1MK wrote:

> Nine months ago one could have made the suggestion that the final SS
scores
> be prepared and ready to go onto the Web site in mid-January rather than
> waiting until mid-April when the results article was going to be needed by
> the printer.

Sure, technically it seems possible, but the web was considered as a
secondary vehicle for the publication of scores.  This is clearly no longer
the case.  (Also,  I can *imagine* some stir caused by publishing the scores
on the web - and the "members only" or not issue - that much earlier than in
the magazine._

The ARRL moves naturally slowly. There are a lot of folks' opinions to
gather into a consensus (of sorts).  Regardless of all the evil conspiracy
theories, I'll bet it took a lot of gnashing of teeth to dump the line
scores.  (Hell, this reflector caused some that!)

The door is open now.  Personally I'd like to see rather comprehensive
changes implemented. Get it all over at once.  Otherwise every year one
would have to read the rules (not a bad idea actually) to see what the dang
League has changed with the submission criteria again.

1) no line scores in QST
2) forced Cabrillo
3) short deadline
4) results out in December

OK..."forced Cabrillo" bothers me somewhat...but NOT for SS (I think those
Carib guys *should* sweat a little! ;-) )
Even so, I feel mandatory Cabrillo looms.  If there's something we in the US
can offer to our alleged "poor overseas bretheren with no email access" in
terms of a process to help them out, now might be the time...

Mike N2MG