[CQ-Contest] Beyond Unsportsmanlike

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Beyond Unsportsmanlike
From: k7qo@earthlink.net (Chuck Adams, K7QO)
Date: Tue Nov 5 15:30:35 2002
At 04:44 PM 11/5/2002 +0000, Ward Silver wrote:

>While we all post to each other - contesters all - wouldn't it be better
>if this instruction was made available as a Web site with some audio
>clips?  I'd be happy to contribute some writing if a Webmeister would step
>forward to put the site together.  I'm sure there are others out there
>with audio clips, photos, etc.
>
>73, Ward N0AX

I'll contribute all the MP3 files that you'd ever need to practice on.  All
that is needed is a lot of
disc space.  The problem with SS is that you need the call to start off the
exchange.  We all
use this to focus on the frequency and the speed for the exchange and to
block QRM.

Another idea, but not cheap.  At Dayton there was a company that was using
a receiver and
a video recorder to record 80 KHz of a contest.  Elecraft at their booth at
Pacificon had a K2
with the same setup using an MP3 recorder to demo 40KHz bandwidth of a
contest.  How
about recording contests like SS over a wide range and then having people
use it to get
a feel for the contest.  I know that I could learn from such a setup and
you could study
individuals (both the good, the bad, and the ugly) and their techniques and
adapt to a
better way of operating.  This could easily be done by clubs with funding
to bring in new
guys and girls to keep the membership up.

And you remember the DrDX program simulation?  I may have the name wrong as
it was
decades ago for that software and the Commodore computer.  There are a few
computer
simulation programs like PED and RUFZ, but there is probably a need for
more contest
specific software to be written.

73,

Chuck Adams, K7QO      CP-60