[CQ-Contest] Pile Up in the Top Ten Box

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Pile Up in the Top Ten Box
From: wd4ahz@gte.net (Ron Wetjen)
Date: Sat Nov 9 01:53:19 2002
Tom Osborne wrote:

> Just a few minutes before the end of the contest I heard some VE6's
 > rag-chewing on 80 so I broke in and asked if someone could give me
 > an exchange on CW.  One guy did and I made my sweep.
 > Now, if I did that, it would probably get tossed.

Wrong.  A "unique" is a good QSO unless proven otherwise.  Why is that
concept so hard to grasp?

Just this evening, Tree addressed this issue ...

"But - just to be clear - no uniques are removed without being judged
to be a busted callsign."

and

"Uniques are not removed from any log without being identified as
a busted callsign."

Our FQP log checking procedures are exactly the same.  If a "unique"
cannot be verified to be busted, it stays in the log.

Having played around with log checking software, I know that "uniques"
can easily be tossed from the log, and doing so, would certainly speed
up the log checking process.  Verifying "uniques" as valid is probably
more time consuming, than keying in paper logs or fixing non-Cabrillo
log formats.

So why bother with checking "uniques"?  Because every QSO you make,
should be worth the effort spent making it ... and not having your
efforts go to waste because a piece of software arbitrarily toss it from
your log.

Ron, WD4AHZ