[CQ-Contest] Split Frequency in Contests?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Split Frequency in Contests?
From: w2up@mindspring.com (Barry )
Date: Sun Dec 1 13:51:54 2002
Jim,
I think you hit the nail on the head. It's the caliber/calibre of the
operator. Without a doubt, the pileups were the worst I've ever heard
them in a contest. There was endless calling with little listening. The
callees were guilty too, with very sparse IDing. For example, LT1F was
mis-spotted on packet as L1TF and had an instant pileup. You would
think the op would figure it out after 2 or 3 dupes in a row, but there was
no ID for a LONG time.
Bottom line, as in DXing, it has been said that the pileup is controlled by
the DX station. The better ops know how to do it.
73,
Barry W2UP