[CQ-Contest] Split Frequency in Contests?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Split Frequency in Contests?
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Sun Dec 1 10:57:15 2002
On Sun, 1 Dec 2002, Jim Martin wrote:

> I think for the first time last weekend I heard contest stations working
> split. They were not exactly exotic or rare prefixes so why the split
> operation?  Others like XT2DX and HC8N had huge pile-ups but always managed
> to skilfully work their way through.
> Is this to do with the calibre of the operator or a ploy to spread out the
> callers and have an operator work the stations and another 'tee' up the next
> QSO? Muscle substituting for skill?

I think it was the calibre of the operator.  There were many stations with
big pileups not working split.  YI9OM had a HUGE pileup and was fairly
weak here, but he seemed to do OK without split when I heard him.  And he
was justfied in working split, too - I'm sure he was an all-time new DXCC
country for some.

73, Zack W9SZ