[CQ-Contest] Poor QualitySignals

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Poor QualitySignals
From: k5iid@ntelos.net (Tom Horton)
Date: Wed Dec 11 17:08:32 2002
Contesters,
  I continue to be appalled at the quality of signals from some of the
contest stations
we work in most every contest. It's not just the little guys but some of
the biggest guns!
  I agree that we should start applying peer pressure on these guys. Has
anyone noticed
after all the comments about not identifying often enough how many guys are
doing it
much better these days I sure have!
  I don't know why some of the folks...lots of times the big guys... just
don't care.
  I think peer pressure is the best possible way to cure this excess
splatter, distortion,
clicks, chirp and recently I even heard one US CW signal that was just so
bad you could not detect a tone !
  Truthfully,though, sometimes the problem is just ignorance of the
operator. This can be seen (hopefully)
by hearing some of the big guns out of the bands (too close to the edge and
spilling over) at times.
  I think this PC( political correctness) stuff and not wanting to hurt
feelings has gone far enough!
We should police ourselves the way we used to !  It's time to quit making
excuses and trying to
bend things to suit ourselves and do it the right way. The honest and
ethical way! Why have we gone so
far off course?
I quite often tell someone their audio is bad, and typically the reply is
"CQ-CONTEST".
I was told once that I had a problem and fixed a situation I didn't know I
had. (tks K4XU).
As far as the CW, I have an old MP, and no one has ever told me it has Clicks.
If it does, I want to know. I want to know anytime my signal is not right.
  I don't know why some of the folks...lots of times the big guys... just
don't care.
I think peer pressure is the best possible way to cure this excess
splatter, distortion,
clicks, chirp and such. Recently I even heard one US CW signal that was
just so bad
you could not detect a tone !
  I think this PC( political correctness) stuff and not wanting to hurt
feelings has gone far enough!
We should police ourselves the way we used to!
  Regarding the signal report to give on CW for clicks...599K is the
correct one and 599C for chirps.
It won't fit your logging program nor his (or mine). But he should soon
figure that out. What you (we)
can do in our logs is a simple ALT N or whatever in the log and make a
quick note of it.
  This needs to apply to all contesters, not just the US stations, but that
should probably be our
main focus. These things need desparately to be conveyed to many South
American and
European stations as well. Have you noticed that this rarely applies to the
Japanese stations?
  I plan to start collecting data this weekend!
One thing to be careful of however. Before you ding someone...MAKE SURE
YOUR NOISE BLANKER
IS OFF!!!!!!
If my signal is bad TELL ME!!!!!

Flame away... I'm a big boy..I can take it!
73,
Tom K5IID