[CQ-Contest] Going Over to the Dark Side

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Going Over to the Dark Side
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Mon Jan 13 08:44:26 2003
On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Mark Beckwith wrote:

> > If you weren't bothered enough to copy down their calls, why would you
> > bother to tell the story?
>
> I also want to remind Ron that a highly efficient contest op probably spent
> enough time on that frequency to hear
>
> ...WN3VAW K
>
> or
>
> [the end of something] followed by [silence]
>
> And then did what any contester would do.  That don't make it wrong.  The
> "offending" contesters were probably completely unaware they were being
> perceived as offensive.  They probably spent another 1.2 seconds listening
> to dead air and then headed up the band, innocently oblivious to the
> presence of rare DX.
>
> The downside of Sharing.
>
> Mark, N5OT

If someone only did this once, and then figured out the other station
wasn't in the contest and had a sked or was calling someone else, they
should leave him alone.  I wouldn't call and call repeatedly.

I remember when I was fairly new to contesting and heard stations calling
"CQ BERU" or "CQ FOC" I would try to work them and get shunned.  I didn't
know at the time those were closed contests and wanted to join in on the
fun. I guess that's the other side of the coin!  :-)

73, Zack W9SZ