[CQ-Contest] Going Over to the Dark Side

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Going Over to the Dark Side
From: jjreisert@alum.mit.edu (Jim Reisert AD1C)
Date: Mon Jan 13 21:06:01 2003
At 02:33 PM 1/13/2003 -0500, Ron Notarius WN3VAW wrote:

>Be so as it may, I am sorely disappointed that a few private comments have
>tarred & feathered me (based on my original post) as "anti-contest."  For
>someone to make such a knee-jerk comment about me... well, if they don't
>know me better than that, the heck with 'em.

Ron, I feel for you.  Often I am torn between being a DXer and being a
contester.  If I was the grumpy old man that some people think I am (hey,
I'm not even 40 yet),  I'd sit on 14056.5 or 14336 all weekend chasing guys
away from the county hunter net frequencies.

But the real point that Ron made, which seems to have been missed, is a
good one.  One bad impression of contesters will stick a long
time.  Imagine if the victim (Ron in this case) had NOT been a contester or
a subscriber to this reflector.  Can you imagine this ticked-off person
writing yet another letter to the ARRL protesting what happened, and/or
contests in general?  I sure can.

Remember, when you're transmitting, the whole world is potentially
listening.  Aggressive mis-behavior is just that, regardless of the
circumstances, how innocent they might have been.

73 - Jim AD1C

USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.com
PGP Fingerprint: D8E2 3D78 339F A7F1 8C13  1193 B5D1 4FB6 79D1 70DC