[CQ-Contest] TenTec Orion questions regarding SO2R suitability

Subject: [CQ-Contest] TenTec Orion questions regarding SO2R suitability
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Thu May 8 19:48:33 2003
On 5/8/03 12:46 PM, Bill Tippett at btippett@alum.mit.edu wrote:

> >POTENTIAL PROBLEM #1:
> >
> >Can an Orion user clarify if any receiver continues to operate while
>transmitting?
>
>         Orion is not SO2R in a box...neither is any other radio.  Yes,
>both receivers are muted while transmitting.

You know, this is a problem.

Ever since the FT-1000D, these radios that pack two receivers and one
transmitter into the same box have 99% of the circuitry needed to do SO2R
with one radio.

You'd think that the Orion, designed with input from Scott, might have
leaped this hurdle. But it sounds like they didn't even try!

When the Orion was first rumoured on the Ten-Tec site, I sent an e-mail
to Ten-Tec asking this very question -- can you receive while
transmitting. I never received an answer.

Whoever is the first manufacturer to pack two quality receivers and one
transmitter into a single box will sell a ton of them.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901