[CQ-Contest] TenTec Orion questions regarding SO2R suitability

Subject: [CQ-Contest] TenTec Orion questions regarding SO2R suitability
From: eric@k3na.org (Eric Scace K3NA)
Date: Thu May 8 22:46:34 2003
   I would pay significantly more (but rather less than 2x) for a variant of
the Orion with two identical receivers of "main"
quality, where the only receiver that gets muted during transmit is the one
that either (a) is using the same antenna as the
transmitter or (b) the user chooses to mute.

   If one can get a "SO2R in a box", one eliminates the need for a second radio
box on the desk.  Eliminating the second radio box
on the desk in a contest also eliminates a 25A 13vdc power supply and the
associated antenna switching hardware -- both of which are
non-trivial work or expense.

   The only thing given up with a SO2R-in-a-box is redundancy.  If the
transmitter quits, the contest is over.

   Some responses have pointed out that contesters are a minority of hams, and
SO2R contesters a minority within this minority.  But
I suspect that contesters buy a very disproportionately large percent of the
high-end radios... and SO2R contesters even more so.

   So I'm with Bill AA4LR: there is an unserved market demand.

73,
   -- Eric K3NA